sey gif top


Part 2

Saturday 22 January 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Sweet Rolls

Chocolate Chip Cookie Sweet Rolls

I have a sweet roll problem.


 
I blame my original cinnamon rolls. For they are evil. And they must be destroyed.


 
From there I made these orange marmalade rolls. A triumph.


 
REE_7081
Then, with zero shame in my soul, I made these caramel apple rolls.
Help.
Over the weekend, I made a whole bunch of cinnamon rolls for Cookie Sunday at church. Cookie Sunday used to be called Linger Longer, and before that, I think it was happy hour, which might have inflamed the evangelicals because of its reference to discounted booze…but I’m a Presbyterian and nobody cared.
I set aside some of the cinnamon roll dough and decided to try yet another variation of sweet rolls. I steered away from anything having to do with fruit or cinnamon…and I got myself into a little trouble.
Just scroll. You’ll see what I mean.

 
TPW_3654
The whole world of my cinnamon rolls begins with this: four cups of whole milk.
This is a big moment, folks.


 
TPW_3656
Pour it into a dutch oven or other pot.


 
TPW_3658
Add a cup of sugar…


 
TPW_3662
And a cup of oil.


 
TPW_3664
Stir it together and heat it over medium heat. Don’t let it boil. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool a bit. You want it to be warm, but not too warm for the yeast.


 
TPW_3668
When it’s cooled enough, sprinkle in the yeast.


 
TPW_3673
Let it sit on the surface of the warm liquid for a couple of minutes.


 
TPW_3675
Then add eight of the nine cups of flour.


 
TPW_3677
Stir it gently to combine. It’ll be super wet and stick.
And that’s what you want.


 
TPW_3681
Then place the lid on the pot and allow to sit in a draft-free place for one hour.
I love using heavy cast iron pots for yeast doughs, as they tend to trap in the warmth and give the yeast more of a yeast-happy environment.


 
TPW_3683
Here it is an hour later!
Groovy, man.


 
TPW_3686
Time to add in an additional cup of flour…


 
TPW_3689
A good tablespoon of salt (don’t skip this!)


 
TPW_3695
A heaping teaspoon of baking powder…


 
TPW_3697


 
TPW_3698
And a scant teaspoon of baking soda.


 
TPW_3699


 
TPW_3702
Stir it around…

No comments:

Post a Comment